Raise your hands if you pause just a little before applying power makeup to your dry skin. Yeah, we hear you, and for you, we have compiled a list of the best primers for dry skin. These hydrating products have been formulated with ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, which work to hold moisture in your skin!
That way, there is no flaking, no tightening, and no itchiness to be felt under your meticulously applied makeup.
Before beginning, your makeup routine, exfoliate your skin to slough off any dead skin and flakes. Next, apply your favorite moisturizer and let it sink in. Finally, you’re ready to prime.
But does your primer hydrate your skin too? This list comprises the best primers for dry skin. So, if you are ready to begin your makeup regiment, try reaching for one of these primers first!
- The 15 Best Primers for Dry Skin
- 1. Better’n Ur Skin Mineral Primer
- 2. NuFACE Hydrating Gel Primer
- 3. Monica Ann Beauty Dual Action Face Primer
- 4. Bare Escentuals Good Hydrations Primer
- 5. NYX Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Oil Primer
- 6. PuroBIO Primer
- 7. Radiant Complex Face Primer
- 8. L’Oreal Paris Magic Perfecting Base Face Primer
- 9. Glossiva Face Primer
- 10. Premium Makeup Primer
- 11. Clinique Superprimer
- 12. Glo Skin Beauty Face Primer
- 13. e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer
- 14. TULA Probiotic Moisturizing Primer
- 15. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer
- Is the primer necessary for dry skin?
- What is a hydrating primer?
- What is the best hydrating primer?
- Does makeup primer dry your skin?
- Does primer help with dry skin?
The 15 Best Primers for Dry Skin
1. Better’n Ur Skin Mineral Primer
Not only is this primer great for dry skin, but it also contains wonderful antiaging properties! It has been crafted using all-natural, botanical ingredients, such as rosehip seed oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E, that hydrate and soothe dry, flaky, and irritated skin.
- Hydrates your skin from the inside, so there is no feeling of tightness on the skin
- It is non-greasy! Which means that your foundation won’t show signs of breaking down during the day
- Lightweight formula that soaks into your skin and doesn’t clog your pores at all
- Recommended for all skin types, however, for those with dry skin, we recommend prepping your skin with your favorite moisturizer first
- Natural product that is good for the environment and your conscious: gluten-free, certified cruelty-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, and guilt-free
2. NuFACE Hydrating Gel Primer
Get ready to meet your new best friend! This primer has the consistency of a gel and is loaded with wonderful ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and Phytomoist complex. These sink into your skin and retain moisture on a cellular level, leaving you feeling refreshed and hydrated.
- Gel-like texture is extremely hydrating and soothing, and it doesn’t leave you feeling itchy or tight
- It contains anti-aging benefits
- The hyaluronic acid draws moisture into your skin from the air around you, so your skin looks and feels plump and hydrated
- Phytomoist complex is derived from edible mushrooms and is known to improve skin softness and diminish the appearance of fine lines that come with dry skin
3. Monica Ann Beauty Dual Action Face Primer
This primer is a miracle worker! It is among the best moisturizing primers, especially if your dry skin is prone to breakouts. It is a silicone-based formula that is packed with moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Additionally, it contains Vitamin-C, which is known to not only prevent premature aging of the skin but brightens it up as well!
- The silicone-based product sinks into your skin, visibly reducing the appearance of pores and fine lines
- The Vitamin C brightens the skin while reducing the appearance of fine lines
- It contains hyaluronic acid, which is known to be one of the best anti-aging ingredients
- It has a translucent, matte coverage, that can be worn under makeup or on its own
- No parabens or sulfates and is completely cruelty-free
Related: Interested in cruelty-free products? Check cruelty-free face washes!
4. Bare Escentuals Good Hydrations Primer
Bare Escentuals is a beauty brand that is committed to providing clean beauty products to its customers. Designed specifically for dry skin, it provides immediate and lasting hydration. As a result, dry and flaky skin is tamed and makeup goes on smoothly and stays put!
- This is an oil-free primer that is designed to hydrate and nourish dry skin
- It provides a smooth canvas for your mineral makeup to glide over, without collecting into fine lines
- It has a built-in soft-focus filter that minimizes the appearance of fine lines and pores
- Free of oil, paraben, sulfates, fragrances, and cruelty
Related: Interested in cruelty-free products? Check cruelty-free face moisturizers!
5. NYX Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Oil Primer
In the search for an oasis for your dry skin? Well, you’ve found it! This product is among the best makeup primers for dry skin. Once you have exfoliated your skin, apply just a few drops and let it settle in before beginning your makeup. It provides long-lasting hydration and keeps your makeup from breaking down.
- Infused with rice oil and jojoba oil to provide your dry skin with extra nourishment
- Leaves your skin looking dewy and full, even under a full face of makeup
- The texture is extremely lightweight, so your skin does not feel weighed down or congested
- NYX is committed to being 100% cruelty-free in all its products, so it is good for the mind, body and soul
Related: Check our article about best oils for dry skin!
6. PuroBIO Primer
PuroBIO is an Italian company that is committed to creating organic products, using the best that nature has to offer. Among the top primers for sensitive, dry skin, this creamy gel product is enriched with ingredients such as shea butter, olive oil, and algae extract.
- Enriched with antioxidants, it fights against the effects of free radical damage on your skin
- This product is slightly tinted, so it can be worn on its own or under makeup
- It created a hydrating barrier between your skin and makeup, locking in all the good stuff while providing a smooth surface for your makeup to glide over
- It is a certified organic and vegan product
7. Radiant Complex Face Primer
Radiant Complex is a hydrating cream that goes smoothly onto the skin and lends its support to your foundation. This product is free of parabens and, most importantly, is cruelty-free, which means that none of the ingredients in the products, or the product itself, were ever tested on animals or outsourced to labs that test on animals.
- Though this product is not a moisturizer replacement, it goes on smoothly and locks moisture into your skin
- It evens out the texture of the skin so that makeup applies smoothly
- Ideal for mature skin as it is able to reduce the foundation creasing in fine lines
Related: Check our article about best bb creams for dry skin!
8. L’Oreal Paris Magic Perfecting Base Face Primer
L’Oreal is among the leading names in makeup, therefore it comes as no surprise that they have one of the best makeup primers for dry skin. However, if you have very dry skin, we highly recommend the use of a moisturizer before using this primer. Remember, a little goes a long way, so you simply have to dab this on your skin and work it in.
- It minimizes the appearance of your pores and fine lines, especially under your eye and around your nose
- Extremely lightweight formula that doesn’t feel heavy on the skin, so don’t let the texture scare you
- Suitable for all skin tones as it blends in clear
- It will lock your makeup in and prevent it from breaking down around the nose and mouth areas
9. Glossiva Face Primer
Glossiva Face Primer, although created for all skin types, is fabulous on dry skin! It gives the skin a mattifying effect without drying it out, which makes it perfect in our books. The biggest call out of this primer is that it contains many anti-aging properties. This means it is able to decrease the appearance of dark spots, wrinkles, and fines lines.
- It contains wonderful hydrating ingredients such as snail secretions and white lily flower
- Minimizes the appearance of large pores and fine lines
- It contains spirulina, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory that combats redness and acne
10. Premium Makeup Primer
Made to last, this gel-like primer is waterproof! It holds onto your makeup so you don’t have to worry about it breaking down on your in the middle of the day. The product claims that it can last for up to 8 to 12 hours before it starts showing signs of breaking down.
- Lightweight formula with a gel-like consistency that is easy to apply.
- Feels soft and silky on the skin.
- Packs with Vitamin A and Vitamin E, both of which are known to encourage cell turnover, resulting in youthful-looking skin.
- Eliminates redness and flakiness that can cause makeup to breakdown during the course of the day.
- It is free of parabens and fragrance. Moreover, it is cruelty-free and vegan too!
Related: Interested in cruelty-free products? Check best cruelty-free face deodorants!
11. Clinique Superprimer
Your dry skin is in for a treat! This is the best moisturizing primer for dry skin. Clinique products have been specifically created to target problematic skin. Which is why their hydration line is no exception. Formulated for dry, sensitive, and aging skin, it is a lightweight product that masks redness and soothes flaky and irritated skin.
- Lightweight formula that doesn’t clog your skin
- A little goes a long way, so you don’t need more than a pea-sized amount
- Highly recommended for skin that is dry, sensitive, prone to acne or aging
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and fragrance
12. Glo Skin Beauty Face Primer
Made for makeup, the Glo Skin Beauty Face Primer is a wonderful product! While it is formulated for dry skin, we find that we could use a little extra hydration. So, on a clean face, apply your favorite moisturizer and let it soak in for a few minutes before you apply this primer. And this is where the magic happens; the primer instantly goes to work, creating a smooth surface that has visibly minimized pores and fine lines!
- The gel-based formula that leaves a silky feel on the skin
- Packed with Vitamin A, C, and E to brighten the skin, encourage cell turnover, and to prevent cell damage from free radicals
- Made with olive oil to hydrate, smoothen and soften the skin
- 100% cruelty-free
13. e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer
e.l.f., also known as Eyes, Lips, and Face is an indie makeup company that creates budget-friendly makeup. So, it makes perfect sense that they would create a hydrating face primer too! This product is designed to prepare your skin for makeup, all while locking in moisture. Which is why this product is amongst the best makeup primers for dry skin.
- Loaded with the benefits of Vitamin A, C, and E, to assist in perfecting your skin
- Free of parabens, phthalates, triclosan, and other harmful ingredients
- It gives your skin a dewy, lit from within appearance
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free, which means no guilt on your conscious
- It comes in a 1.01 fluid ounce container, which may seem a tad bit underwhelming, but a little goes a long way
14. TULA Probiotic Moisturizing Primer
A leader in the probiotic skincare game, TULA believes that probiotics and superfoods are not only meant to nourish you inside out – but outside in too. This product harnesses the power of chia seeds, turmeric, probiotics and prebiotics! Encouraging skin cell turnover, this primer is a game-changer.
- The superfoods work to instantly smooth the look of uneven skin and combat redness
- The formula is lightweight and buildable
- The product contains ‘glow particles’ that gives your skin a sun-kissed radiance
- Recommended for all skin types, including mature skin
- Completely cruelty-free
15. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer
Dermalogica is a salon brand that one can see being used for professional services. This company knows skin and skincare! On a clean face, apply a pea-sized amount of primer and watch the magic happen! It is an award-winning product that preps the surface of your skin for makeup with a ‘soft focus’ effect.
- Smooths out fine lines and brightens the complexion
- Hydrates the skin by locking in moisture
- It can be worn by itself or under makeup for extended wear
- Infused with Pearl Powder and natural earth minerals for a neutral tint and visible luminosity
- Formulated with Soy Protein to even out skin texture
Related: Check our article about best setting powders for dry skin!
Is the primer necessary for dry skin?
The purpose behind priming your skin before applying the foundation is to be able to create a smooth surface over which the makeup can easily glide on. There is nothing preventing you from wearing your foundation without a primer.
However, chances are that it will accentuate the skin’s texture a lot more. When one has dry skin, one tends to deal with rough patches of uneven skin, redness, and even flaky skin. A hydrating primer that has been formulated specifically for dry skin will work actively to infuse the skin with hydration and to smooth out the rough patches that want to flake away – especially around the nose and cheeks.
If you are blessed with a smooth texture but still have dry skin, the primer will act as a hydrating barrier on your skin. Foundations and powders may dry your skin out if applied to bare skin, but having a primer present will ensure that your skin never feels parched, tight or dry.
Related: check our article about powder foundations for dry skin!
What is a hydrating primer?
A hydrating primer is a product that is applied before you begin your makeup routine as a means of prepping the skin. With the hydrating primer, the idea is to provide the skin with an extra surge of moisture. This is because, depending on the amount of makeup applied, the additional products can actually sap the moisture out of your skin, leaving it looking tired and parched, or in some cases, flaky and very textured.
Hydrating primers, such as NYX Hydratouch oil primer, are a heavy-duty product that keeps the skin hydrated for an extended period.
What is the best hydrating primer?
The best hydrating primer depends entirely upon your needs. If you are looking for pure hydration, we love the NuFACE Hydrating Gel primer. The hyaluronic acid in the product pulls moisture from the air and infuses it into your skin. Hyaluronic acid should be the best friend of anyone with dry skin.
If your dry skin is textured and has fine lines, then you want the Clinique Superprimer. This primer has been designed with one thing in mind – your dry skin. It goes to work immediately, sinking into your skin and plumping it from within. As a result, the appearance of fine lines and pores are visibly reduced and the skin looks radiant and healthy.
Does makeup primer dry your skin?
This depends entirely on the primer your select. If you select a mattifying primer for oily skin then there is a high probability that the primer will dry out your skin further. To avoid this, we recommend a little additional prep; start by cleansing and exfoliating your skin. Follow with a hydrating serum and top with a moisturizer.
Related: Check our article about best primers for oily skin!
These steps remove all extra particles from your face and infuse it with hydration that will last you the entire day. Allow the moisturizer to soak into your skin for a few minutes and then apply your favorite primer. If you have done the necessary steps, then there is no way a primer suited to your skin type will ever dry your skin out. Rather, you will have a lit-from-within radiance that will last you all day.
Does primer help with dry skin?
The short answer is yes. However, we recommend that the primer you select be specifically formulated for dry skin. If you have other skin issues, such as acne or redness or sensitivity, select a product that is free of irritants and is preferably vegan.
Related: Check our article about best primers for acne prone skin!
We love the PuroBIO Primer as it is formulated with natural ingredients and plant extracts that are selected specifically to target dry skin. Will this eliminate your dry skin? Unlikely, as dry skin is a part of your natural chemistry.
However, that does not mean it cannot be assisted. This is where primers come in. Primers for dry skin assist other products to ensure that your skin remains hydrated and comfortable throughout the day, in spite of any makeup.
So, when you are selecting the best primer for dry skin, remember to take all your skin concerns into consideration as well. Moreover, to ensure that your skin looks and feels its best, we highly recommend investing in a good moisturizer for sensitive skin so that your skin can be as hydrated as possible. A primer is a great support for makeup as it prepares your skin for any other products that you apply.
The smoother the canvas, the less likely it is that the dry patches or the flakes some through. Some primers that are infused with additional hydrating ingredients go a long way to give your skin a dewy look under your makeup too!
We hope that this article will help you navigate your way when you next set out to purchase a primer. A simple rule of thumb to follow is to identify your skin type; identify your skin concerns; and then chose the product that fits the bill. Whichever product you select, we wish you glowing, dewy, hydrated, and happy skin!
Have a dry skin? Check also:
- Toners for dry skin
- Dry skin concealers
- Soaps for dry skin
- Face wash for dry skin
- Body wash for dry skin
Joan S. Wilson is a lifelong makeup and skincare enthusiast. She used to work as a makeup artist for 5 years. Joan is always curious and wants to learn more when it comes to makeup and skincare. She tries her best to make other people’s skin health better. This is why Joan is so passionate about writing articles on beauty topics. She always looks for products that are high-quality, dermatologist-tested, and does that it says on the label. In every article, she shares her knowledge to make your life healthier and happier!